Why does the Fed raise interest rates? And how do those hikes slow inflation?

S&P 500




Dow 30








Russell 2000




Crude Oil
















10-Yr Bond
















CMC Crypto 200




FTSE 100




Nikkei 225




Americans are still contending with higher food, gas and rent costs.

While inflation eased a little bit in August, it remains elevated. The release of the Consumer Price Index this month revealed that inflation rose 8.3% last month compared with the same time last year.

At its last meeting in July, the Fed raised interest rates by 0.75 percentage points to bump the federal funds target range to 2.25% to 2.5% in an effort to rein in inflation. It also raised rates by 0.75 percentage points in June, representing at that time the largest increase at a single meeting since 1994. A similar-size hike is expected when the Fed meets again this week in light of the disappointing August CPI report and strong job growth that’s pushing up wage increases.

But why are hikes used to combat inflation, and how do they work?

WASHINGTON, DC – JULY 27: U.S. Federal Reserve Board Chairman Jerome Powell pauses during a news conference following a meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) at the headquarters of the Federal Reserve, July 27, 2022 in Washington, DC. Powell announced that the Federal Reserve is raising interest rates by three-quarters of a percentage point. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images) ORG XMIT: 775845047 ORIG FILE ID: 1242147034

When will the Fed announce the next rate hike?

The Fed is expected to announce another hike by the end of its Federal Open Market Committee’s meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 20 and Wednesday Sept. 21. The FOMC is the body within the Fed that decides monetary policy, including interest rates. More committee meetings are scheduled for November and December.

How does a Fed hike work? How does it affect prime rate, 10-year Treasury bond?

As the country’s central bank, the Federal Reserve is in charge of monetary policy. Its dual mandate is to promote “maximum employment and stable prices in the U.S. economy.” Stable prices mean keeping inflation in check, with a long-term mean annual target of 2%.

In 2020, CPI inflation was 1.4%. In 2021, it was 7%.

One of the Fed’s main tools to impact inflation is the federal funds rate, which is the rate banks charge each other for overnight loans.

Although the Fed doesn’t directly control all interest rates, when it raises the federal funds rate, most other interest rates eventually follow suit, including adjustable-rate mortgages, credit cards, home equity lines of credit, and other loans. Some of these are tied to the prime rate, which is based on the federal funds rate, according to Bankrate.com. 

A rising federal fund rate also affects the 10-year Treasury bond, which impacts mortgages.

Borrowing money then becomes more expensive for consumers, who in turn spend less. Demand begins to wane and inflation, in theory, starts to relent.

Meanwhile, some Americans, particularly seniors, see their coffers buoyed by higher bank savings rates.

How many times has the Fed raised interest rates in 2022?

The Fed has raised interest rates four times this year. The pandemic’s shutdown of the economy had kept rates near zero before the Fed increased rates by a 0.25 percentage point in March, the first hike in more than three years. 

An additional increase of 0.50 percentage point came in May, followed by a historic0.75 percentage point bump in June, and then another 0.75 jump in July, putting the rate at its current range of 2.25% to 2.5%.

How much will the Fed raise rates?

Economists surveyed by Bloomberg predict a third consecutive 0.75 percentage point hike this week. That would bring that rate range to 3% to 3.25%. The same economists surveyed predicted the upper end of the range would reach 4% by the end of the year.

Are interest rate hikes good for stocks?

Interest rate hikes create volatility in the stock market. The value of future earnings tends to dip when higher interest rates are expected, according to U.S. Bank, making investors less eager to bid up stock prices.

Higher interest rates are meant to slow the economy, which can stunt revenues for companies, potentially damaging their growth and stock prices, according to Forbes.

Contributing: Paul Davidson, Medora Lee

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: How can Fed rate hikes reduce inflation? Fed increases explained.



TREASURIES-10-year yields highest since 2011 before expected Fed rate hike

Data last week showed higher-than-expected consumer prices in August, dashing hopes that price pressures would ease. It also made it more likely that the Fed will hike rates by another 75 basis points when it concludes its two-day meeting on Wednesday. Traders are now pricing in an 81% chance of a 75 basis points hike and a 19% likelihood of a 100 basis points increase.


Some investors fear Fed will tighten rates too far as inflation bites

Just months ago, investors worried the Federal Reserve was not fighting inflation aggressively enough. Several jumbo rate hikes later, some now fear the Fed will plunge the economy into recession by tightening monetary policy too quickly. With markets reeling from last week’s robust inflation number, interest rate futures late Friday were pricing in a roughly 20% chance that the Fed will raise rates by 100 basis points at its Sept 21 meeting.

The Wall Street Journal

How to Survive the Next Market Crash

Fund manager Mark Spitznagel, who earned a fortune when stocks cratered in 2008 and 2020, has some surprising advice for how ordinary investors can brace for the next big one.


‘Put on a seat belt’ — Ray Dalio says stock market could go down 20%; Use these 2 blue-chip stocks for protection

In the investing game, the rules may no longer apply. Billionaire hedge fund manager Ray Dalio warns that the Federal Reserve has set the market up for a significant fall in the near-term. Noting that inflation is far too high, and that the Federal Reserve is moving aggressively against it, Dalio predicts general drawdown, if not a recession, and likely sooner than later. “It looks like interest rates will have to rise a lot (toward the higher end of the 4.5% to 6% range). This will bring privat


Here’s How Much a New Monthly Mortgage Payment Has Surged in 10 US Metros

(Bloomberg) — Mortgage rates in the US have soared alongside Federal Reserve rate hikes. According to Bankrate, the average 30-year mortgage now stands above 6.3%, the highest since 2008.Most Read from BloombergSouthwest Mexico Struck by 7.5 Magnitude Earthquake, Buildings Sway in CapitalHome-Flipper Opendoor Hit With Losses in Echo of Zillow CollapseGrand Theft Auto VI Leak Is a Shock to Video Game Studio RockstarBiden Says He Warned Xi of Investment Chill If China Backs PutinAnd while there a


My Kids Inherited $5 Million. How Should They Handle It?

My children have inherited $5 million of stock from their father (whose estate has not yet been dispersed after 11 months) leaving them with a 30% or so loss of value over which they have had no control. Is there … Continue reading → The post Ask an Advisor: My Kids Inherited $5 Million. How Should They Handle It? appeared first on SmartAsset Blog.

Associated Press

US stocks rise ahead of expected interest rate hike by Fed

A choppy day of trading on Wall Street ended with stocks closing higher Monday as investors brace for another big interest rate increase this week from the Federal Reserve. Apple rose 2.5%, Home Depot gained 1.6%, Bank of America rose 1.7% and United Airlines closed 3.3% higher. The yield on the 2-year Treasury, which tends to follow expectations for Fed action, rose to 3.94% from 3.87% late Friday.


Banks Push Ahead to Offload Risky LBO Debt Ahead of Fed Meeting

(Bloomberg) — A group of banks led by Barclays Plc and Bank of America Corp. is moving forward with a risky leveraged buyout financing despite the volatility gripping the market ahead of the Federal Reserve’s rate decision Wednesday.Most Read from BloombergSouthwest Mexico Struck by 7.5 Magnitude Earthquake, Buildings Sway in CapitalHome-Flipper Opendoor Hit With Losses in Echo of Zillow CollapseGrand Theft Auto VI Leak Is a Shock to Video Game Studio RockstarBiden Says He Warned Xi of Investme


Fisker, Rivian or Lucid: Which EV Stock Is the Better Buy?

Everyone knows by now, traditional ICE vehicles are on their way out, fast driven to obsolescence by electric vehicles (EVs). In fact, according to Needham’s clean tech analyst Vikram Bagri, EV adoption is “progressing faster than expected.” Realistically, this is not much of a shock considering the macro background. “The fundamental landscape for EVs is more constructive than ever with elevated gas prices, government support, and improving availability,” Bagri noted. “Though we expect to see so


Lebanon currency hits new low, sparking protests

The Lebanese pound fell to a new low against the US dollar on the black market Monday as a severe economic downturn has sparked bank hold-ups by angry depositors and anti-government protests.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.